It can be hard to tell family and friends “no” when you’re trying to save money. However, it’s often an inevitable conversation. Here are three ways to say no when saving money. These tips should help you the next time someone asks you to do something you’re financially unable to do right now.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Please read my entire disclosure policy here.
We can’t right now.
- Flat out tell them that you currently can’t do xyz and for what reason. A true friend is going to understand. However, make sure you’re not saying this in such a way that you sound whiny, sad, or like you’re begging them for help.
- Explain to them that you can’t do that with them right now, but that you will be able to at a certain time frame. If you know you’ll have the money to go out to lunch next week, set the date. Sometimes it’s easier to set a future date than to put someone off altogether. (Just make sure your budget truly can handle what you’re proposing.)
Offer an alternative.
- Find an alternative activity. If you’re asked to go out to supper with another couple, invite them over for supper instead. See if they can bring part of the meal.
- Rather than head out to the movies with friends, offer to host a night in or see if another friend can. You’ll all save money by watching a movie you already own, have access to via Amazon Prime, or can rent for a few bucks. Bonus points here because you’ll also save money on the popcorn, candy, and drinks!
Thank them, but say no thanks.
- You don’t need to explain yourself to everyone. Sometimes simply saying, “No thanks. That doesn’t work for me,” is all the explanation you need to give. Say it. Mean it. Move on. That nosy coworker or great-aunt doesn’t need to know every detail. 🙂
There may be a variety of reasons you need to say no at this stage of your life. Perhaps you’re paying off debt, living on one income, or saving really hard for retirement. Regardless, you should not feel guilty for saying no. We hope these three tips for ways to say no when saving money will be helpful to you!
Like this post? Here are more money saving posts you may enjoy: