Everywhere we turn there’s a new “hack” or “tip” that is going to make life easier or quicker. We are constantly rushing through each day – trying to get more done, please more people, make more money, or something. Yet is it ever enough?
Since becoming a work at home mom, I’ve found that I actually make time to slow down and enjoy today. Don’t get me wrong – I still have a LONG way to go, but I’m getting better! Taking time each day to appreciate the little things has made a huge difference!
Every day I make a point of doing at least a handful of the 15 ideas below. All these ideas will help you better enjoy today and make the most of your time here on Earth.
This blog post contains affiliate links. You can read my entire disclosure page here.
15 Ways to Enjoy Today
- Give thanks for what you have. When we realize how fortunate we are for all we have, we send those good vibes back out into the world. This, in turn, causes more good to come to us.
- Watch a child or be child like. There’s something so mesmerizing about watching a child’s curiosity. The way they look at the world with such wonder and awe. Watch them and be inspired. No children around? No problem! Turn on a children’s television show or read a kid’s book. Look at it with fresh, new eyes that have never seen it before.
- Smile. This one is pretty straightforward. Even if you have to force it to start, do it. The more you smile, the more likely you are to be happen and enjoy yourself more.
- Laugh. It’s been said that children laugh way more than adults. I believe this to be true. As adults we tend to take ourselves too seriously.
- Do something you enjoy. If you like fishing, go fishing! If you love driving around with the top down, go do it! Whatever you enjoy, make time to do it as often as possible. I used to put off spending time scrapbooking, but now I find that doing this unwinding activity a few times a year is actually a therapeutic break for me.
- Eat something you love. I’m not suggesting you make a chocolate cake and eat the entire thing (although I won’t judge you if you do!), but enjoy your favorite food frequently. If you love chocolate, allow yourself a few Hershey Kisses each day. If you’re a Chinese fan, go out to that favorite restaurant of yours as long as your waistline and your budget allow it.
- Learn a new skill. There’s something exciting about learning a new skill. Ask a friend or family member for help, grab a how to book, or turn to YouTube. In today’s technological age, you can learn something new in no time at all!
- Set a new goal. I always find myself excited after I set a new goal! It gives me something to look forward to in the future, but it also forces me to focus on today and what I can do to reach that goal.
- Accept the past. Bad things happen to all of us. Learn to deal with your past so you can enjoy today without yesterday’s worries and troubles nagging at you all the time.
- Love yourself. Say something positive about yourself at least once a day. If you catch yourself saying something negative, say three positives. This simple attitude shift may take time, but you’ll eventually notice that you are being more positive about yourself each day. This will lead you to enjoy today more and stress less.
- Let go of the negativity. This one is very hard for me! But by letting go of the negativity of the past, you can enjoy today and the future even more! This may mean ending a relationship, getting off of social media, or changing your work atmosphere – but it’ll be worthwhile in the end. A less negative environment will allow you to enjoy yourself more. Isn’t that reason enough to leave the negativity behind you?
- Find your inspiration. If you enjoy being on social media, follow accounts that inspire you. If you have a favorite quote or scripture, paste it somewhere to see it and smile every day. If you find inspiration working with your hands or being around animals, do those things! Not sure what your inspiration is? Start searching for it. When you find something that makes you smile for no apparent reason, you’ll know you’re in the right place. Want a starting point? Try this pocket-sized inspirational book.
- Pay attention to nature. This one may not be true for everyone, but I find that a short 15 minute walk can completely change my mood around. So take a walk, go on that hike, or even just take a car ride through the local mountains. Notice the animals and flowers. Feel the breeze running through your hair. Chances are you’ll be rejuvenated when you’re done.
- Make something. If you are the creative type (or even if you’re not!), you may find that creating something new leaves you feeling fresh. Whether you are creating a simple stick figure card to send to your best friend or making something out of that old tree in the backyard – let your creative side shine through.
- Pray, meditate, or simply unwind. For many people, this may be the #1 thing they do to help enjoy today. Find a little time in silence each day. So often we are surrounded by technology, other people, and things all day that we don’t take time to just listen to the thoughts of our own head and enjoy a little downtime. This one little tip may be the most important one.
Hopefully these tips will help you find time to enjoy today so you can lead a fuller, more happy life!
Want more great ideas from HoJo’s Life Adventures? Then please consider following me on Pinterest!